Two years ago I sat down and made a advent calendar for Christmas, little felt socks. Only I didn’t think it out very well and five of anything doesn’t fit in one haha, So I changed the way we use our advent calendar.I wanted to do a book advent calendar for the kids this year and I was all set for heading to a scholastic warehouse sale this weekend unfortunately I was still in hospital. So rather expanding that budget to still make the book advent calendar work I decided to change my mind completely.
I’ve been ranting to hubby about how our kids now feel entitled because while we were debt free we gave them EVERYTHING. Oh boy then there’s the attitudes and manipulation.What??!!
It’s beyond frustrating but I’m not necessarily going to get angry and annoyed right now, instead I’m going to redirect this behavior by turning our families advent calendar into 24 activities to do as a family. I think we all need to take a step back and learn to appreciate simple family fun again, I know I do. I love it, but my kids are slipping into the gaming and you tube comas. So Sorry kids and hubby, mumma’s gifting experiences this year.
So I’m busy writing out and stuffing 24 little stockings with family activities, Its not all big and fabulous, it’s not 24 days spending money but this is what we have planned!
- Write out and post our Christmas cards
- Christmas movie:
- Board game by Christmas carols
- Shop for gifts to go under the Kmart Christmas tree
- Read Christmas books together
- Christmas crafts by Christmas lights
- Family bowling night
- Christmas movie: Home Alone
- Sit down to Candy cane hot chocolates and cookies
- Build a ginger bread house or attempt to
- Make homemade gifts for friends and family
- Take Christmas photos in three new places
- Bake some Christmas threats
- Talk a walk as a family to see Christmas lights
- Gift shopping as a family for everyone on our list
- Gather around and watch family video clips
- Dinner by Christmas lights
- Go for a drive and see 40 houses covered in lights
- Make a hamper for someone we love
- So skating as a family – even rollerblading!
- Write letters to santa
- Drive further, find more lights and take a family photo
- Christmas dinner with family
- Bake cookies for Santa
I’m excited for these moments together, the family video clips is by far the family night I’m counting down to the most.